Saturday, March 7, 2015

Hello....Anybody Out There?

My gawd, it's been forever since I've been on Blogger.  I had to check to see when my last post was and it looks like I'm way over due for the "once-a-year" post!

First of all, I hope the New Year has been kind to you.  I did mention that I had spinal surgery last summer and that went well, however, I began having problems with my left side beginning in late Dec.  I woke up one morning and my left upper thigh hurt and it's just gotten worse.  However, it hasn't stopped me from having fun, doing work in the studio and living my life as well as I can.  Compared to last year around this time, I'm good!  I've decided to take a holistic approach to this new back problem and see an acupuncturist who came highly recommended.  I haven't made the appointment yet, but I'll do that next week.  The last thing I want to do is have to go through that nightmare again and go the conventional route, but who knows, I just might have to, but for now, it's going to be the "witchy" way!!  LOL

Unfortunately, I haven't traveled at all in the last 2 1/2 years.  My travels, though, usually take me to Austin, Texas where my daughter and grandchildren live and one of my best friends.  I'm hoping to get out there maybe in the Fall, just in time for the Cedars to bloom...ugh!!  I've been busy as can be lately, making all sorts of fun things.  Again, I'm preparing for the Borderland Fridas "Dia De Los Muertos" show in Nov.  Last year's inaugural show was a great success...we had a blast. I was joined by my two oldest and dearest friends, who've I've known since we were 14 years old and my sister came to buy, but stayed for most of the show...she had a blast too, apparently!!  LOL  There was lots of traffic coming to our venue and thank goodness, it was indoors.  The weather out here in far West Texas is always a bit unpredictable.  We usually have great, sun-filled days, but when the cooler fronts come rolling in, it usually means wind, lots and lots of strong winds.  That weekend was one of those and it did cool down quite a bit, but we were safe and sound in our ballroom venue.

Speaking of the Borderland Fridas, we are attempting to have a traveling Dia De Los Muertos exhibition and hopefully, get picked up by the Smithsonian's new Hispanic Cultural museum.  There are no traveling shows like this, so just maybe.  Being of "Mejicana" descent, we add a new twist to the old Mexican traditions, but maintaining our old ways too.   It's a meld of both Mexican and our American influences on this art form.  If we don't get it, though, we'll still be displaying around the country but first at the Branigan in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  They are a wonderful group of people who run this museum and so very much wanting to work with local artists.  A couple of weeks ago, the Borderland Fridas had a retablo workshop there and it was so much fun.  Unfortunately, I was unable to partake...I was one of the Frida helpers, so I walked around, helping, answering questions and refilling water and paint pallets.  Was great fun and it was a wonderful group of people...even dudes came to partake in the fun!!

There are some changes going on around the Autrey/Diaz house too.  My hubby is going into his own arborist business and it's a little frightening that he's beginning a new business, but he's so happy now...no more corporate crap!  However, he's applied for "day jobs," and one we're hoping he gets is the head aborist at the University of Texas at El Paso.  They are doing all sorts of great things on the campus, making it exclusively a "walking campus," and adding much more vegetation as a result.  If hired, he'll be in charge of all those trees and shrubs and what-not, plus, he'll go in early in the morning and be out earlier in the day, allowing him to take care of his private business, Pray that this works out for us...we're very excited about it.

I thought I'd post a few of my latest things that I've been busy making.  I will be turning in my nicho for the traveling exhibition and a figurine.  The nicho is not complete yet, so I won't post that, but here are some of my other little pieces of arte.

Made a few of these Calaca candles for the show and they all sold out...note to self:  make more!!






This was made for my sweet man's first great-granddaughter, Hannah Grace, born just a couple of weeks ago.

I really have more to show, but I need to get myself ready and get into the studio to finish that nicho.  I promise to return soon and let you know what other great news I might have, plus, show more stuff, especially what I'll be exhibiting for the traveling show.  Have a great week all, if you're on Facebook, come on by, friend me, Georgina Diaz, and we can stay in touch that way, as I do many of my old Blogger buddies.  Peace out.

2 comments:

audrey said...

Georgina ~ YES, there are a few of us still out here in Blogland. I am still holding on, blogging several times a week. I repeat a lot of things that I put on facebook. That is where I get all the comments - seldom on here. But, I have friends and family who are not on facebook and they come to my blog. I will keep at it as long as I find enjoyment in blogging.

You are one busy lady. I love your colorful fun creations. The devil is great, and the skelly, and the sun, and, and...

I will say prayers that your Mr. gets the Arborist job. That would be SO great. And the new private business, too. It all sounds very exciting.

Last year when I was having all my hip bursitis problems, I was on the verge of going to an acupuncturist, too. I got better before I went, though. I still have little spells of pain from time to time but NOTHING like the full blown pain. I hope it helps you. I've heard good things about it. My mom's neurologist actually told me to take her to an acupuncture dr. for her spinal stenosis pain. Unfortunately, she had the stroke shortly after he told me that and I never got the chance to take her.

Speaking of moms, I hope yours is doing pretty well and a little more cheery than she was there for a while.

Keep blogging, my friend, even if only once in a while. I would hate to see all my old blogging buddies give up on it.

Take a breather for yourself in between all the things you are doing.

xo

Marfi-topia said...

Hello beautiful lady!!
I miss your posts so much...Love looking at all the inspiration you have to offer.
Thank you for coming by for my man's birthday lol!
My mom was like that too...if I had read a vampire book in front of her during my pregnancy she would have said the child might turn out to be one, hahaha
which is ironic cause my little one has insisted for the past 5 years that she is in fact , a vampire!!although i'm not sure I read any vampire stories during that time...
have you read, One For The Road?
it's about Salem's lot...you can find it on youtube as an audio book...it's pretty chilling too.
I really do adore him...the first book i read of his was Carrie and I was waaay to young for it at the time...but either way I was hooked.
many a night have I left the lights on because of him.
I hope you get a chance to post again very soon...
I like facebook..but I just love how personal our blogs get.
hope you are well and cooking up more DDLM art.
I'll text you soon my friend:)