Sunday, June 19, 2011

And the Weener Is?????


Ooooohhhh, it's so early!! I have been awake since 6:30 and that's the second day for me to just wake up out of the blue at that hour. I usually get up at 7:30 during the week and much later during the weekends, but today, I have to be at the airport by 9:30 to pick up DH. He's flying in from Houston and thought it would be nice to start his Father's Day early...uuuhhhh, no!! Oh well, I'm up, so I decided to collect all the names from my blog giveaway and throw them into the ol' number generator, so without further ado, I shall announce the winner...drum roll please.....the the weener is....Gloria of http://glorv1.blogspot.com/. Congratulations Gloria on winning my Frida sketch book....hope you enjoy and will use it!! I will need your address, so drop me an email. I also will be mailing out this week Anne's figurine and the shrine that was sold over at the auction for the Oaxaca street children's fund. It's going to AR! I'm so happy it found a good home, as all my offerings will.

Well, it is early so I'm going to get in gear and get ready. I'm planning on taking DH and Ian to Franky's for brunch. It's a great Mexican restaurant and around her, there is a plethora of Mexican restaurants and lots of good ones too. I haven't been to Franky's in years, well, ever since I moved to the west side of town, but the proximity to the airport is so close, going to return after 11 years. Speaking of Mexican restaurants, due to all the cartel violence just across the river from me, many wealthier Mexicans have come over here to set up home, hearth and shop. So many great restaurants are opening up as result, many that were successful and had a large following back before the cartels and anarchy took over Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mex. Now these aren't your enchilada and taco plate special kind of eateries, but more gourmet, regional foods from Mexico....will have to try them one at at time!!

This week is going to be a full one. My daughter, Andria, and my 4th grandie, Sammy, are flying in from Austin for a visit. My daughter gets 2 weekends during the summer visitation while the boys are here with their father, so she will be exercising that this week, meaning, I will have all 4 boys + pregger daughter+ youngest son and then add to the mix, DH and me!! So ya think I'll need to lock myself in the closet with my bottle of Svetka and limes???!!?? LOL This is a reference from one of my recent blogs!! She's planning on picking up the boys at 6ish on Friday, riding with her BFF, Rodrigo or Rod, and they will all go to Chicos Tacos for dinner. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of these tacos or seen them on the Food Network channel, but they are these little rolled tacos, swimming in a puddle of tomato sauce, sprinkled with some cheese. I don't understand the cult behind this little bowl, or bowel, of mush, but it's very popular and many people who have left El Paso and moved on, lucky twits, always return to Chicos....in fact for many, it's the first thing they do when they drive in to town or get off a plane. I just don't understand it...they suck, as far as I'm concerned. My tacos are by far better, filled with roast beef, not hamburger, avocados, lettuce, tomato, cheese and homemade pico de gallo, not watery tomato sauce...bleh!! Well, to each his own and I'm sticking to my own!

I had a great time with my boys the other day. I took them out to lunch to Pizza Hut, thanks to my niece who sent them a gift certificate for there. I wanted to get a Papa Burger, but I was out voted...darn! We then returned home and they changed into their new clothes and off to the Lynx museum for their exhitibion. I was a bit disappointed since their past exhibitions have been wonderful, but they had more artsy-craftsty stuff at the work tables than hands on sort of stuff. They did have this great sound room, actually a closet, that was completely insulated for the occupant's screaming pleasure. They had a monitor outside of it to watch and somewhat listen to the scream while it measured the decibels. I really could have used one of those when I was a young mother!! Then they had this other station where you could listen to pitch of sound. Unfortunately, I have the pitch of a friggin' frog!! I'm not kidding, I maxed out to the frog's highest mean...they must be deafer than a door knob then!! While Ian and the boys were in a simulator, I don't do well in those things, I talked to the young man that was taking care of the little fine art space. I also bought a necklace while I was there. I met this young woman in November at Las Artistas Art Faire, the best one in town as far as I'm concerned. She was with the metal students from UTEP and I fell in love with her work, but I had also run out of checks. She had a display in that little museum and I had to get one of her necklaces, which was very reasonably priced. I know her family, from Chihuahua Mexico, and the guy at the museum told me she had just moved to NYC since many of her clients are from there, so I'm sure I won't be seeing her jewelry at such reasonable prices ever again!! In talking with the kid, I told him I had been making Dia de los Muertos stuff since before he was born and I know he must be younger than my older 2 kids. He said a lot of visitors come in and ask for it, but no one in their small group of arteests make anything like that, remember, it's fine arte!! Whatever!!! So he told me to contact the lady in charge, gave me both his and her card, so if I get a chance this week, I'll be emailing her a letter of interest, plus, photos of my work. Will then wait and see.

Damn, I'm getting hungry, wonder why?? Again congrats to Gloria for being the big weener!! Well, my friends, I doubt I will be doing any blogging this week and if you don't see any comments left on your blogs, well, you'll understand...please pray for me!!!!! Peace out.

10 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

Boy you sound like you had a busy but fun time with more to come!
Congrats to Gloria!

and hurry back Georgina, I'll be missing your funny posts!
XOXO - Cindi

Janine said...

Oh Gloria is soooo lucky. Congrats to you Gloria.
And I wish you a great and creative week Georgina

GlorV1 said...

Who Me? I won? Again....who me? I won? Really? Nah, really? Yay!!!!!Thanks Georgina, I am happy! Thanks a lot, I will use it faithfully. I will send you my address. I got lucky, woo hoo. My goodness, you are really a busy woman. You've got a lot to do, but most of it is family oriented so I'm sure it will be fun. Oh how nice that you are getting all these great Mexican gourment restaurants down your way. I wish we had some here. You mean they left their country and are in the United States now? I think it's great that hard working people continue to work hard despite the problems. Have a great week Georgina and I'll go to my email and post you my address. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Hehehe. I would Not want to be in your crowded house This week. It will be sweet if you allow them all to live - yikes a knocked up daughter? I canNot stand my daughter when she is on her cycle - if she ever decides to reproduce, she must Not be near me when she is harvesting her hormonal tummy blob.
My freakin doG w0ke me up at 6:30 this morning too, so i don't have mercy for you.
I had a dream that i was yipping like a doggie and then i opened my eyes and was like,
Chibi. Motherfuck, be quiet. But. Now i'm up.. grrr.
The last time i had even remotely acceptable mexican food was when we lived in Cheyenne, WY. Go Figure.
I need tea.
Crap. I'm hungry now too.
Xx,
Ammabammashammalamma

rebecca said...

lovely gloria strikes it BIG!!!

now that you have whipped up my appetite...come on over, when you recover from a houseful and check out my many dia de los muertos "visions!"

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Did I hear weener??? correctly! I wish it were me but yeah for Gloria! Peace, Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

So lovely to hear from you Gloria.
You sound like your going to have lots of family loving fun and good food. Heaven is made of the best and this sounds like heaven. Even the part where you can hide and have a drink too!
Hugs!
Julie

Flora said...

Hey Georgina, must of been one hellova Father's day celebration???LOL!!! Hope you are doing well and Congratulations to the " WEENER"
Blessings,Flora

GlorV1 said...

Hi Georgina. I sent you a couple of emails so I thought I better stop by to let you know that I received the journal and love love it much. Thank you so much and I will definitely be using it very soon. Thanks georgina, your my amiga! Don't forget to stop by your mail, I sent you something.

Unknown said...

i Know i already visited this post, but i stalked back over to ask you if you think awesomeness skips generations? Like, one of those every other generation kind of things.
Guess what?
I am fairly thoroughly convinced that it does.
Something tells me you'd agree..