Thursday, April 28, 2011

New Dollie

Hola all, just a short one today. I joined in the fun over at ADO and decided to create a framed doll for the 2nd Quarterly Challenge. Well, here she is and I had so much fun creating her. After seeing some of the adorable work over at Pam Smallcomb's way, I thought I'd invest, and I do mean, INVEST, in some soft Sculpey clay. Yikes, it's a bit pricey, but sooo nice to work with...almost reminds me of porcelain, but a bit sticky. I'm so accustomed to the Sculpey II, which you need to make sure your carpel tunnel isn't acting up...it's like kneading a dry batch of bread dough!! However, I shan't throw away my Sculpey II since I love working with the coloured clays and I can pop a couple of Advil if necessary.

I painted one of those shadow box frames, minus the glass, and then made my doll. The netting is from one of my stepdaughter's old prom dresses. Years ago, she wanted this gorgeous dress and her father, DH, said not only no, but HELL NO!! The dress was very costly, but her mother conceited and purchased it for her. It had a red bustier, tying up in the back, and this long, flowing tutu like skirt. She looked adorable in it, but when you're 16, who doesn't??? Ok, I've seen a few that look like they've been poked with too many 10' ft. poles!!

Fast forward to about 4 years ago, she and her hubby were invited to a Halloween party and she decided to use the bustier and add it to the rest of her costume...I think she went as a Goth girl. Anyway, she gave me the skirt since it no longer fitted and told me to use it on my dolls. I forgot all about it till yesterday; I then went to the closet and pulled it out of her prom dress bag. There are 2 other dresses in there, but I don't dare cut those up...they can be recycled. Anyone a size 2??

I found this old necklace my mother had given me years ago, and some how, it ended up in my junk bag...hmm, wonder who put it there!!?? Anyway, this piece is called, "Dancing with the Stars." I had so much fun making her, I think I'm going to make another frame doll...maybe a skelly girl!! You know me, I can't stay away from those skellies for too long.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and spend some time doing something completely fun and frivolous and as I tell my friend, Chris, "Do some misbehavin'!" Peace out.

7 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Okay Georgina, now you got me wanting to do something with the clay I have sitting in the studio. I can't do everything at once???I'm working on my little ladies and something for PPF tomorrow, plus I have to cook, no wait...we had tortilla soup last night, I'll just warm it up and fry some more corn tort for topping and....well you get the picture. Tee Hee. That is a great doll, I love it!! You are very talented amiga and you have inspired me. Thanks for sharing. ::hugs::or as you say::abrazos::

Cindi Myers said...

Georgina!
OMG! I've missed so many posts!
Where was I?!
LOVE your framed doll!
You go girl!
XOXO - Cindi

Dianie said...

Georgina She is wonderful!!

I have never worked with soft sculpey.. but I think I would like too ;)

Have a good weekend :)

~Diane

yoborobo said...

I love your doll! And that she is wearing part of your daughter's dress. :)) I am thinking skellys, too, Georgina! Great minds, right? hahaha! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend - xox Pam

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

Hello, Georgina

I haven't done anything in clay in a very long time, tempting I may add!

Georgina is always a delight to know you came to visit!

un besote!!!!
magaly

Janine said...

I love clay dolls.
I love this one.
Your dolls are so funny and vibrant.
Have a great day
Janine

Janine said...

Hi Georgina, thank you for your dear comment.
I am glad you have such good memories, when you think about your german time.
You are right, a graden don´t have to be big to be gorgeous, but I bet in your clima there grows a lot of wonderfull plants too.

I am actually going to work with clay too, but I just want to make some tiles for a garden table, i allways wanted to make some sculptering too.
We will see.
Have a great week
Hugs
Janine