Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Green Corn Tamale Recipe


I've had a few of you asking for that tamal recipe, so I shall comply, but take note, unless you're a tamal master, this is very time intensive and there's a rhythm you need to develop in order to make them, just lettin' ya know. Like I said, it's never going to happen in my home...we've got Joanne in Tucson!! LOL

GREEN CORN TAMALES

2 doz. ears of white corn
2 lbs. yellow longhorn cheese or queso blanco (white cheese), Mennonite if you can find it, grated finely
2 lbs. shortening
3 lbs. roasted fresh green chiles (Long greens or Anaheim, whatever they're called in your region)
1 T. salt
1/4 c. sugar

Cut ears of corn on both ends with a sharp knife so that corn husks will be square and even. Remove the husks with care, being sure to save the ones that are more intact. Clean ears, removing corn silk. Into a large pan, cut kernels from ears from ears of corn. After all kernaels have been removed, they must be gound very fine, either on a meat grinder with the cylinder over the front, a food processor, or they can be taken to a molino ( where they make corn tortillas). Cream shortening, salt, sugar, ground corn and 1 lb. of the grated cheese. Mix well until blended.

Mix remaining cheese and green chile in a separate bowl. Place one serving spoonful of corn dough in a corn husk; on top, add a tablespoon of the green chile and cheese filling about half of the husk. Fold top down; use a second husk to wrap over open end. Place in a steam roaster with folded end down. (an ordinary roaster is adequate, but the steaming time is a bit longer.) steam tamales for an hour. The dough should be firm, but if still runny, steam a little longer.



Ok, folks, there's the recipe taken from Joanne's church lady cookbook, "Tasteful Treasures: A Fundraising Cookbook for our Diocesan Vocations Project, Catholic Daughter's of The Americas." If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, after all, my mother knows how to make these little pillows of pure delight, so I can ask her. If you would like a copy of this cookbook, contact the Tucson, AZ chapter of the Catholic Daughter's of the Americas...must be listed somewhere. If not, I can always contact Joanne and get the info.

Bon Apetite! Will write the 2nd installation of my vacae later this week. Peace out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to try it, because I don't have the patience or the knack for making tamales, but I'm going to put Charlie on it as he loves making them!

GlorV1 said...

Hi Georgina. I just seen your comment on a previous post I did about asking me if I wanted the recipe and yes of course. This sounds easy enough and it would be great to try it out. I do my own recipe but trying new ways is fun. thanks Georgina, I'll print it out.::abrazos:: I read your last comment on my blog and I'm glad you are happy in life now.:)

GlorV1 said...

Just in case I didn't say thank you, Thank You!:)

yoborobo said...

Oh, these sound so good. I used to have a tamale contact in CA, and I could trade her for tamales! LOL! Her's were so good. She'd get together with her family and have a tamale-athon, and then I would hit her up for some. hahahaha! It's too much work for me, I think. Maybe when I get a little more free time. I do so love a good tamale! XOX Pam

Jingle said...

Those sound YUMMY!!!

Marie S said...

OMG!! These sound wonderful.
I am going to try this one day.
I have never made them before, but I think I am game.
I am salivating all over my keyboard.
I agree it is just easier to buy from someone that makes them all of the time.
I love doing food myself though and learning how to make a new food I have never done.
Thank you!!!

Cindi Myers said...

uh...
sounds like a lot of work to me!
LOL! But I'm sure TOTALLY worth it.
But since I make my "grilled" cheese with my toaster, everything sounds hard.
But once again I'm hungry.
Maybe I'll get dressed and go get some carry-out.
XOXO - Cindi