Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hatch Chiles

















My brother brought me back two bags full of Hatch chiles or "peppers" to so many of you. Hatch is this little town just a couple of hours up the road from here, in New Mexico. They grow the best chiles in the world!!! This time of year you can go to any grocery store, including national stores, and find them selling them in burlap bags and roasting them right on the premises. I love the smell...the ancient scent of the gods!!! I know, I'm such a beaner, but that's how it makes me feel every time I hear the sizzle of the roaster and the smell that exudes from the metal cages as the heat singes the skins...wow, when did I become so poetic???!?!?!?!?!? See what these lovelies do to me?????

I'm taking them over to my mother's so her maid can roast them for me. Frankly, I hate roasting them because it's such hot work, even if done outside on our grill...it's friggin' hot work!!!! I'll pay for that service!!! Besides, my mother has central air conditioning that helps the heat index in the house...we still have the ol' swamp cooler!!! Also, I promised my mother I'd also take her some tomatoes from our garden...she loves the little cherry tomatoes and she's run out.

I am bound and determined to go into the studio today and start on some new work. I'm also planning on redoing my Etsy shop with new shipping prices and adding new work, so go visit me and buy something fab-u-lous!!!! Peace out.

6 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I absolutely LOVE the photos of the chilis! They are beautiful---works of art in a bowl.
I never was much for roasting the skin off any type of pepper---usually burn myself, get mad and give up! So I just buy the generic ones in the jars.
You're lucky to live where there is such variety of peppers.....up here it's pretty much the same old same old.
I miss my garden, were I grew all sorts of exotics.
Oh well, age....... >:(

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

My dear, you are not just poetic but affected. Living in the southwest at this time of the year is like the best thing in the world. Chiles roasting is the creme de la creme. So wonderful, so aromatic, so beaner and us. Hay, muchacha, que delicioso, que bonita, Que?
blessings and goats, Linda

GlorV1 said...

Hi Linda. We grow our own peppers and right now we've got them coming out of our ears, especially the habaneros. I love chiles and I do roast them myself because the aroma of them roasting is out of this world. Viva el chile. Have a great day and enjoy your chile.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Those chiles look YUMMY!

Chris (-:

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

I want some roasted chiles! I love it out there where you are...haven't been out west in over a decade!!

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

love the chilies!! Hola Georgina!

I love when you come to visit me!

It makes me happy! though we never met in person, I feel as though we have. I love your spirit!